Mental Health

How To Channel Your Anger Into Productivity

May 29, 2020
anger

Anger can present itself in a really ugly way if it isn’t controlled, often in the way of violence, such as hitting another person or breaking furniture. It’s an emotion that affects us all now and then and naturally comes out in a toxic way if not controlled. If you are having major issues with your anger, I do recommend seeing a therapist but below are some of the ways that may help you control it a bit better.

Pin For Later:

Understanding Anger

The first step to controlling your anger is understanding it. Often associated with frustration, this emotion often comes out when things aren’t going our way or our peers aren’t acting in ways we want or understand. It is a very human and valid emotion that shouldn’t be ignored under any circumstances, butr channeled in to positive and productive things.

Anger Management Techniques

There are many techniques we can use to relieve the symptoms of anger, I have made a short list (below) with additonal things you can do to try and help with the emotion. Whatever you’re doing, through, it’s important to set small goals only in order to prevent overloading yourself.

• Time out – take a break for a bit, go have a seat somewhere quiet and gather your thoughts
  • Controlled breathing
  • Meditation
  • Better Communication
  • Work on responses that help with your anger – make a list of things to say to yourself before, during and after situations where you get angry

Dance

Maybe keep this one for your own home. Put some music on and dance your anger away. This way you can listen to music that calms your down whilst using your extra energy to dance the anger away. A fun workout that can help you feel less angry by releasing tension.

Sing Your Anger Out

Another one that you should maybe keep for you home. As with dancing, singing is a great way to relieve some of that tension. Belt out some of your favourite songs like no one is listening and you’ll be feeling better in no time.

Exercise

As always, exercise is recommended as a healthier and more productive way to release anger. Sports like tennis, badminton and boxing are especially good for anger and are certainly all a much healthier way to channel all that energy.

Clean

Activities like scrubbing or vaccuming are great for releasing some of that anger with the benedit of having a cleaner house at the end of it. Afterwards, your anger will begin to go away and you’ll feel accomplished.

Write It Out

Getting all those emotions down on paper/Word document is just as good as talking to someone about it. Not only does it help you rationalise your anger, but it also helps you balance your emotions a bit more to feel less angry.

Have A Bath

What is more relaxing than a nice hot bubble bath with a glass of wine (or beer, whatever floats your boat) and some good music? So draw yourself a bath and feel your mood balancing.

Go For A Walk

Get out of the house, get some fresh air and go for a walk. This helps you put your thoughts in to perspective and gives you some alone time. Great for taking a breath and processing what is makiing you feel angry.

There are resources that can help you get through. I have listed them below:

The Samaritans: https://www.samaritans.org/scotland/how-we-can-help/schools/deal/deal-resources/dealing-feelings/agression/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pCEnoXa6QIVSbTtCh22YQlCEAAYAyAAEgLwkPD_BwE

Young Minds: https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/feelings-and-symptoms/anger/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pCEnoXa6QIVSbTtCh22YQlCEAAYBCAAEgIU1_D_BwE

NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/controlling-anger/

Mind: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anger/about-anger/

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Violet Jones May 29, 2020 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for this! I used to suffer with anger a lot – not so much anymore but I didn’t know how to deal with such intense feelings so I would just completely shut down until it passed. I love these ideas.

• Reply Jodie Paterson May 29, 2020 at 11:25 pm

I have heard a lot of stories like this! I am happy you don’t suffer with it much any more.

• Reply Unwanted Life May 29, 2020 at 11:46 pm

It’s always good to know how to manage your anger, but it can actually be a good motivator for some people. I’m at my most motivated to tackle issues I’d otherwise avoid due to the negative impact it’d have on my mental health when I’m angry

• Reply Jodie Paterson May 29, 2020 at 11:48 pm

It’s great that you’ve found a positive way to release the anger a bit! I agree that it’s a great motivator

• Reply Jenny in Neverland May 31, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Really great tips! I don’t get angry often but I can sometimes get really irritable. Usually cleaning makes that a lot better!

• Reply Jodie Paterson May 31, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Thank you 🙂 Cleaning has been a big one for me! Helps me with both anger and irritability

• Reply Kristen Buchanan June 1, 2020 at 6:23 pm

Meditation is a wonderful channel to use to navigate through your anger.

• Reply glowsteady June 1, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I’m a huge huge fan of the angry run, it almost always encourages a new PB! If running isn’t quite the one, I usually opt for cleaning. There’s something really satisfying about scrubbing something clean when you’re in a bad mood. Great suggestions, it’s important that we all find something more positive to channel those emotions into when we need it x

Sophie

• Reply Jodie Paterson June 1, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I love an angry run too! Yes, I definitely agree that scrubbing things clean is so satisfying!

• Reply Clarissa June 2, 2020 at 2:50 am

Thanks for this! When I’m angry or frustrated, exercise is the only way I can get myself to stop thinking about what happened over and over. Kickboxing with a heavy bag and paddling my canoe seem to work best. But if I’m at home resistance training will do. These same things tend to work pretty well for my anxiety as well! Thanks for the tips!

• Reply bournemouthgirl June 2, 2020 at 10:56 am

This is really helpful and great tips! Thank you for sharing

• Reply Grace June 2, 2020 at 11:13 am

Loved reading this post and it was so useful to read these tips! I think we all deal with anger and how we deal with it is never spoken about so I love that you’ve shared this post, I am definitely going to save it for future reference!
    Grace xx

• Reply untilanotherday June 2, 2020 at 7:08 pm

I don’t get angry often, I tend to get frustrated the most. I love taking baths, meditating and reading to help steady my mind. Great post and even greater advice.

• Reply Jodie Paterson June 2, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Reading has definitely helped me too when I get frustrated!

• Reply Diffusing the Tension June 12, 2020 at 5:45 pm

These are so great! I’m grateful my husband works from home and some days has a flexible-ish schedule because I need a MAJOR time out from my three year old a little while ago. Saint preserve us, her attitude and stubborn-ness. Thanks for these great tips.

• Reply 7 New Blogs To Read This Month: Meet My July Advertises · Jenny in Neverland July 2, 2020 at 8:33 am

[…] How To Channel Your Anger Into Positivity […]

• Reply Gail Larupay July 3, 2020 at 7:32 am

Thanks for the tips I agree with all of them!