Online dating can be really fun, meeting new people and forming connections. However, this can very quickly turn dangerous if we aren’t careful. In the current climate, we only have the online to rely on. For this reason, it’s important that people look after themselves before getting too attached to someone or sharing something they will regret. It’s important to stay safe when meeting new people online. What are the actions you can take to protect yourself when online dating?
Stay Safe By Not Giving Out Personal Information
Dating sites are great for meeting people, and 90% of the time they will be genuine. Unfortunately, that means the other 10% of the time, people may not be genuine. Until you’ve had a chance to really get to know the person it’s safer to keep it within the app and not exchange numbers. Video chatting is so accessible now, so it’s easier to get to know people this way without giving out all your personal details.
Video Chat Before Meeting Up
This way there are no surprises when it comes to seeing them in person and helps you form a stronger connection. Of course, right now, video chatting is the only option for us. As things open up and people are able to go on dates again just make sure you know who you’re meeting up with. The other side of this is it will be easier to see them on the day. Let’s be real, if they aren’t willing to video chat…they’re probably dodgy (unless they don’t have a camera at all, then a phone call is sufficient).
Fact-Check To Stay Safe
The internet allows us to be able to check if the people we are chatting with are trustworthy. If you sense something is off about the person you’re talking to, don’t be scared to do some Facebook/Google investigating. Google has a great “search by image” feature you can utilize to see if they have taken a picture from someone else’s profile. If you’re Cambridgeshire dating, you may have mutual friends on Facebook that can verify the identity.
Pin for later:
Tell Your Friends
This is especially important if you’re meeting up with someone. If you’ve decided to start dating someone you’ve met online, talk to your friends about it. Your friends are more likely to see red flags than you are and bring them up. If they do show concern then be cautious going forward. They may even have some great advice to help.
Don’t Be Scared To Ask Questions
If someone is pursuing you online and asking you to share personal details/information, don’t be afraid to ask them questions too. It’s also not unreasonable to ask for proof of hard to believe details. You want to be with someone you can trust and if they start off the relationship lying to you, they are not worth it. Challenge them on the things that don’t add up, if they can’t give you a good answer it’s probably time to distance yourself.
Go Slow And Stay Safe
You may feel an instant connection, that’s great, but still proceed with caution. If you’re both claiming to love each other by the second day of talking, take a step back. Most importantly, don’t send racy pictures. Wait until you’ve met and trust them. It really isn’t worth the risk of them sharing them around. Don’t place too much trust in someone you haven’t even video chatted.
Check Your Security Settings
This goes for your dating profile and your social media accounts. If there is something you don’t want to share with every prospective you meet on a dating app, make sure it’s set to private. Dating apps are normally good for this. If you don’t want your Instagram seen, don’t add it to your profile. Double-check all of your settings and make sure you aren’t sharing phone numbers or emails etc.
Now you know how to stay safe while dating, worried you’re too old? You’re not. I’ve written a post detailing why you’re never too old for online dating.
*This is a paid for sponsored post